Well, that happened with my dinners tonight & last night. I had these lovely entrees planned, and they were just dandy. BUT, the side dishes were what really rocked my world.
The first is hardly an innovation, but wait for it -- the second is actually my own invention!
Monday, I pan-grilled lime-marinated boneless pork chops. With that came whole wheat cous cous with fresh chopped cilantro. Both just fine. But the show-stealer:
Oven-roasted zucchini and summer squash
- Now, I grant you - these would have been better on the grill, but it was raining!
- Just a little EVOO and S&P.
- I had cut them in fairly large chunks.
- Put them in a 450 oven and actually sort of forgot about them.
- I think they were in there for a good half hour.
Tonight, oh tonight. I had one of those eureka dishes. After trying new recipes from books & blogs and making up your own ... some of them turn out okay, some belly-flop. You may start to feel discouraged. Then there's one that keeps you going. Last night, I made that dish, but I didn't know it at the time. My first bite tonight was positive affirmation at its finest. (And it went darn well with a Jacob's Creek Chardonnay.)
White bean, Feta & Mint salad
- 1 can white navy beans, drained & rinsed
- 1/2 a carton grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 bunch green onions, chopped
- 1/3 block reduced fat feta, cubed
- S&P, ~1 tbsp EVOO, few dashes red wine vinegar
- ~1/2 dozen mint leaves, chiffonade
The flavors were just lovely together. I'm most proud that I didn't "over-mint" - as I tend to do!
And, as you can see, it's quite pretty. I'd love to show it to you in some fancy serving bowl. However, I love more to mix ingredients in Gladware - make, store & serve all in one bowl --- that works just great for home, thanks!