Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Cowlicks

Cowlicks are like life, like art, like parenting.

For years, I thought I couldn't have bangs because I had such a severe cowlick. But, as you know, unless you live under a rock, bangs are kinda in lately. They were taunting me. Finally, I decided to go for it. I figured if I didn't like the bangs, I'd pin them back --- which is pretty much what I do with the longer flop of hair in front anyway. The stylist & I agreed to go fairly long & not very heavy - you know, starter bangs. They just whet my appetite. So ... I had my mom follow the lead & cut shorter, heavier bangs. Crazy? Again, there are always bobby pins & headbands. But they're fabulous. And she can trim them weekly if I want for free. The stylist had taught me how to blow dry & straighten the bangs, so that they'd hang in a uniform curtain across my forehead. I smiled & nodded. It was the ideal. But I knew I'd never ever do it. I have done it, once or twice, but you know what - I like what the cowlick does to the bangs. It's cute & it's my own.



Here's how I draw a life lesson from this haircut. Basically, I decided my apprehension was BS, and I went for it. My life almost never looks like the picture in my mind. But it's mine, and it's wonderful.

As for parenting & art ... have you ever planned an art project or "sensory experience" for a toddler? If so, you know what I mean. I can have a great plan, gather all the materials, deck us both out in grubby clothes, and she has a completely different idea of what we're doing. Most often the finished product isn't ready for a gallery or even a scrapbook. But the memories, the smiles & the giggles will stay in my heart forever.



Take today - I had printed a list of "sensory experiences" from Pinterest (of course), and my big idea was to use straws to blow cotton balls across the coffee table. Well, first of all, I grabbed bendy straws, and they ended up making quite musical sounds. So that was fun. (Music! Art!) Secondly, although she could make lovely music, the kiddo could not quite get the air to blow anything anywhere, so -- instead -- she used her straw to just bat the balls off the table. She was so proud of herself. Then I decided we could take a walk. We got as far as the empty lot a few houses down, where she proceeded to play in the dirt for about 20 minutes.

I love plans, and I plan to continue to plan. But the unexpected outcomes can be amazing.

3 comments:

  1. I got starter bangs!! Just a side type bang but I like it. I have been deeply considering "real" bangs, but am too chicken. The stylist actually discouraged me from real bangs. Now I have bang envy!!

    PS...I've been doing the caloriecounter tracker to monitor my eating and I SUCK at getting fiber in my diet! I swear I eat more fresh fruits and vegetables than many people I know. Yesterday I only met the fiber suggestion b/c I took some fiber sure and I felt like I ate a ton - a baggie of carrots, a baggie of celery, 1/2 grapefruit, 1/2 cup blueberries, 4 huge strawberries, 1/2 cucumber, 1/2 tomato, and 2-3 cups of Boston lettuce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How much fiber does it want you to get?!?!? That sounds like close to 20 g w/ just the Fruit & Veg. I bet you also did some whole grains too! If so, I'd say you're doing fine! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The website recommends 25 - I've been able to hit it some days :)

    ReplyDelete