Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Redefining Intimacy

My top 3 readers are my Mom, my Dad, and my Grandpa. Sooo ... NO, this post is not about intimacy. Wink, wink. Nudge, nudge.

In fact, it's about exactly not that.

That is all fine & good, and very important for a marriage. BUT, I think we all know you don't have to be married for that.

What I had to be married to discover is the intimacy of day-to-day life.

My husband is working on a budget. Of course, I am involved. He's the keeper of the Excel file; I have a big red veto pen.

I like my job.

I also like that we're having fun.

This is a big, serious deal. Money is one of the biggest sources of stress for couples (and individuals). Yet, I'm having fun. (Probably more than the keeper of the Excel file.)

We are making big decisions and talking seriously, but also poking fun at things the other considers a necessity and cracking unrelated jokes.

I think what has made this fun for me is that it's part of deepening our partnership. That's kind of the gist of our wedding vows - here's a choice quote: "Marriage is a promise that takes a lifetime to fulfill."

It's not all fancy dinners and exciting trips. It's budgets, yard work, and shuffling kids to school. If you can do those things, and not only not kill each other but have fun doing it ...

You're on to something! Here's to your lifetime & ours!

A lifetime ago ... our daughter's, that is! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment