Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Fun Fall Food, Colorful Chicken Chili

1st off - Yes, I love alliteration. 
I also love numbers. For example, my husband & I selected 06/07/08 as our wedding day --- time: 5 o'clock! However, I resisted pre-determining how many parts there will be to this series, as I did for Simple Summer Suppers. I imagine it will be somewhere around 10, but I don't need pressure - nor do I want limitations!


2nd - Expect more chili in this series. Lots. more. chili.
I love chili. My husband & I have been together for just under 5 years, but earlier this year we celebrated our 5th annual "Super Bowl of Chili" - which has evolved into a cook-off. Occasionally, I have abstained from competition & just provided appetizers. This past Super Bowl, though, {gulp} I entered & didn't win. So ... with football season upon us, it's time to start recipe development!



Voilà - my first chili of the season. Colorful Chicken Chili - Why colorful? Isn't chicken chili supposed to be white? I mentioned to the Hubben that I wanted to make chicken chili for my first of the season, then listed off white ingredients I needed. He said: "it's kind of creepy when it's all white." It's like the world is my oyster now. Chicken chili can be anything I want it to be! 




Ingredients:

  • 2 leftover Caesar chicken breasts, thinly sliced & chopped
  • 1 can light red kidney beans
  • 1 can pinto beans
  • 1 green pepper
  • 2 small yellow onions
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • 2 tbsp flour
  • 2 tbsp EVOO
  • pinch cayenne
  • pinch cumin
  • 1 tbsp chili powder


Method:

  • Add olive oil to a pot, heated over medium high
  • Add chopped onion & pepper; saute a few minutes
  • Sprinkle with flour; continue to stir a few minutes
  • Add the chicken broth in approximately 1/2 cup intervals, stirring in between to incorporate flour mixture completely
  • Add the seasonings, chicken & beans
  • Simmer for a long as you like!


I made this Sunday. We ate it for the first time tonight. Munchkin loved it! Though not nearly as much as she loved the corn muffins I served with it - just a Jiffy box, with some leftover corn on the cob chopped in.
We have plenty left over for tomorrow or the next day. I imagine it will be even better the 2nd time - why? Because that's the fabulous thing about chili - it is the ultimate make-ahead meal & just gets better with time. Oh, and PS - whatever the ingredients, bean & pepper colors, seasonings, or accoutrements - I like my chili with a little shredded cheese (or a lot)!

Here's to a fun fall full of food, football & friends! :)

1 comment:

  1. YUM! I love chili. I have a recipe for a white bean green turkey chili that's super quick and delish that I need to post!

    ReplyDelete