Monday, August 15, 2011

Simple Summer Suppers, part 7 of 10 (Brinner)

Breakfast, it's what's for dinner.

Last week, our air conditioner stopped working. This house is less than a year old, so thank all that is good - it was something small (a cap, I think the repairman said). Also, thank all that is good - the repairman came the very next day, so we had less than 24 hrs of oven living. Still, when I got home that night, it was HOT. Not a night for slaving over a hot stove, as they say.

Lucky for me, my plan that night was waffles, anyway! I seriously love breakfast foods, but never have time to make something through the week. Also, I am TERRIBLE at flipping pancakes. So ... we bought a waffle iron. Last week was its inaugural flight. It was even better than I'd dreamed. You don't even have to wash it. I mean you should, but you don't have to. What's it's made of? I have no idea, but nothing sticks to it. Amazing.



I did Aunt Jemima Whole Wheat waffles. Just follow the directions. I didn't quite do that myself - seriously, wait for the steaming to stop, or your waffles will be limp. If you are impatient or, for any other reason, take the waffles out too soon - you can always toss them in the toaster for a bit.



I topped our waffles with PB & banana. The munchkin LOVED it. She had a mask and gloves of peanut butter. It was beautiful.

I served the waffles with soy-sage. I've done these in the microwave before & remember liking them. This time the texture was off. So I'm not sure what was going on.

Next time, I will monitor the steam situation, perhaps give a variety of fruits, and definitely look at turkey sausage or bacon!

No comments:

Post a Comment